Monday, October 11, 2010

Robin Gleaves- (3) Assessing Student's Literacy Development

Quote: Talking about "Portfolio Share Days"- "These sharing days also help students accept responsibility for their own learning- especially those students who have not been as motivated as their classmates."

Comment: I love the line about accepting responsibility for learning. I think it is extremely important for students to do. We can try to teach them all day long but if they don't take it into their own hands at some point, then they will not be as successful as they can. I think having things like sharing days is a great way to motivate and learn responsibility. They know that others will come through and see their work, and that they can use this to show others what they've done. This is also a great way to get parents and the community involved with the classroom.

Question: What are other way that we can motivate out students?

1 comment:

  1. I love this Robin! Share days are a GREAT idea!! I have always wondered this question myself because as easy as extrinsic motivation is, intrinsic motivation is much clearer. I think one way that would motivate students is to spark curiosity and interest. If students are interested in the subject or lesson, they can be more intrinsically motivated. THis can be anything from showing how water bubbles when it boils and having the students come up with stories why and then they can learn why. Or, have a problem in Math class and have the students experiment ways to solve it. Maybe you even provide them with the correct answer. The main idea here though is to get that curiosity going!

    ReplyDelete