Saturday, October 16, 2010

Janelle Webb (4) New Literacies

"In the new modern world of clicking, societies connect virtually...Out of school literacies that researchers have documented include:
- weblogs;
- console-games playing
- looking up 'cheats' on the Internet for games playing;
- playing online games;
- communicating with others in online chatrooms;
- text messaging;
- bidding on eBay;
- surfing the Web;
- constructing online identities and relating to different people online" (Pahl, 123-124)

This book by Pahl has emphasized over and over again the importance of connecting literacies the students are familiar with to their learning. The list above gives educators an idea of what students are using and allows them to find ways to incorporate these technologies. I love the idea of students using a class blog, or creating a safe place they can chat about what they are learning. Technology is the way of the future, we need to instill in students the desire to read a physical book, while allowing them the freedom to use technologies they are comfortable with. For example, after reading a book students could the internet, or programs on the computer to complete their book report. Giving students options allows them freedom to be creative and encourages active learning.

What literacies do you plan on using in class? Are literacies important? How might you modify the literacies above to help your students?

1 comment:

  1. I am going to use all kinds of literacies in my classroom! I would like to start off this comment with first... I am so going to say I'm glad that we learned that literacies can be much more than just knowing how to read because that's what I use to think it was. But know i have so much more knowledge on what literacy is and how it can be used! I think literacies are very important! And I might modify these literacies so that they can be involved in groups or for free time!

    ReplyDelete