Quote: "Teachers create word walls in their classrooms to display the high-frequency words the children are learning."
Comment: The word wall was an aha moment for me this week. I have always seen them in classrooms but couldn't get what the big deal was about them. After reading how the teacher in the example used her word wall, I was thinking "Awesome!" I can see how effective the word wall can be for helping students remember high frequency words and how to spell them. It is also a great way to introduce new vocabulary to students. It can also be a management tool because students can look up at the word wall for the spelling of a word they know but can't remember how to spell instead of asking the teacher all the time. They are taking responsibility for their own learning.
Question: I also want to add a "book wall" to my word wall which is a running list of books we read as a class. How might you use a word wall in your classroom?
No comments:
Post a Comment