Monday, October 4, 2010

Melissa Turner (3) Fluency

Quote: "Writing fluency is similar to reading fluency: Students need to be able to write quickly and easily so that their hands and arms don't hurt. Slow, laborious handwriting interferes with the expression of ideas. In addition, students must be able to spell high-frequency words automatically so that they can focus on the ideas they're writing about," (pg. 207).

Comment: Since being in this class, I have thought a lot about students reading and comprehension skills, but I like how they added writing fluency. I haven't thought much about the writing fluency affecting the ideas of what students are thinking. Since bringing this to my attention, I have recognized that when I am writing fluently, I can get my ideas onto paper, but when I am interrupted or focusing on how to spell a word, etc., I sometimes lose what I was going to write down. I think it is important to help your students to become fluent in not only reading, but writing too.

Question: What are some ways to help your students to become more fluent in their writing?

1 comment:

  1. Teachers should provide varied, daily writing activities. They should also focus on teaching students high frequency words. Also another way to develop writing fluency is by letting them read! The better readers they are, the better writers they are!

    ReplyDelete