Saturday, October 2, 2010

Tiffany Millard--Readers theatre

Quote: "In readers theatre, students practice reading story scripts to develop fluency before reading the script to an audience of classmates. Researchers have found that practice reading using readers theatre scripts results in significant improvement in students' reading fluency" (page 211, Tompkins).

Comment: When I read this part in the chapter I was thrilled! This is such an amazing idea! I had been wondering how I could get my students to practice silent and oral reading in a confident manner, and this idea of readers theatre seems to have provided me the answer. I love that the students would be able to practice beforehand what they would read to the class. I think that it could be beneficial to have students exercise their oral reading skills in the classroom so they will feel comfortable reading aloud in other aspects of their life.

Question: What could be some possible downsides of having readers theatre? How often should I implement this activity in my classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment