Quote: "In schools where portfolios are used school wide, students overwhelmingly report that by using portfolios, they're better able to show their parents what they're learning and also better able to set goals for themselves. Teachers also find that portfolios enable them to assess their students more thoroughly, and students are better able to see their own progress." (Tompkins 95)
Comment: I really like the idea of portfolios. I think they are very useful for teachers. They are also a fun way for students to show off their work. I remember picking out my best work and putting it into a portfolio in elementary. I remember how excited I got when I got to share it with my parents. I think it is important for students to use portfolios. It not only benefits the students but also helps the teachers to monitor each students progress.
Question: Would it be useful to pass students portfolios on to their next teachers? Could their next teachers benefit from seeing students progress?
I think teachers could definitely benefit from seeing student progress. It would be interesting to develop a portfolio that really demonstrated progress but wasn't just a list of grade progression. I don't know what exactly you'd include in the portfolio, because it would probably be too much to include lots of different projects and things, but writing samples and various running records could be helpful.
ReplyDelete