Quote: "The best books for reading practice are ones that students are interested in reading and that are written at their independent level..." (Tompkins 211).
Comment: I agree with this. If students have books that are interesting then they will want to read it and want to take it all in. Why make students read boring books for reading practice when they can read something that they enjoy. If you let students read books that interest them, they will learn to love reading. We want our students to love reading!
Question: What are some other ways we can make reading practice fun and interesting for students?
I agree about making reading fun and interesting...but it's so hard to know exactly how to do it! I think it's mainly important to have a set amount of time where students can choose whatever book they are interested in to read. These should also be the books that they do book reports on, so that they can show their classmates things that they love. When they love reading during individual time, that will hopefully translate to reading in general.
ReplyDelete