Friday, October 1, 2010

Heidi Burnett (4) Copying the Board

Quote: "Some teachers write sentences and poems on the chalkboard for students to copy in the hope that this activity will develop writing fluency. Copying isn't very effective, though, because students are passively recording letters, not actively creating sentences, breaking the sentences into words, and spelling the words. In fact, sometimes students are copying sentences they can't even read, so the activity becomes little more than handwriting practice. It's much more worthwhile for students to write sentences to express their own ideas and to practice spelling the high-frequency words they're using" (Tompkins, pg. 215)

Comment: When I was younger and would play school, copying things off the chalkboard was a frequent occurrence. Even in the past few years when I look ahead to teaching in my future classroom, I think copying things off the board is always at least a little part of that. After reading this, however, I completely agree that copying off the board is not very effective. I've never thought about how it would be more handwriting practice than reading/writing practice, but it definitely is. Funny, how the image of my future classroom has changed just from reading this short paragraph.

Question: Did you ever imagine yourself teaching using a lesson that involves students copying off the board? If so, what are some more effective teaching tools you will use? If not, what do you think will be your main teaching tools?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I've really imagined myself teaching and having students copy off the board, but I definitely have discovered while studying to be a teacher that there are things that I think are ok and probably would do as a teacher, that after having read about it has changed my mind. Like reading this paragraph about copying makes so much sense, I just have to learn it in the right circumstances and in the right ways, and now I will be wary of this. However, this kind of thing makes me a little nervous to be a teacher, and to make mistakes like this, and teaching a certain way that proves to be worthless. I know that as a teacher I will try my best to stay educated in the field of education, what works and what is proven to not work.

    ReplyDelete