Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Misty Ivie - week 7 - Teaching Prosody

Quote: "Schreider recommends teaching students how to phrase or chunk together parts of sentences in order to read with expression." pg 210 Tompkins

Comment: As I read this section, I thought about when I was a senior in high school, I took a speed reading section for my English class and this idea of "chunking" is the same principle used to teach how to speed read. Interestingly, I found as the class progressed, so did my reading comprehension. I actually didn't really understand why when I read faster, I understood more until I read this section. It is much easier to read with expression when you are comprehending more of what you are reading.

Question: What was your favorite strategy talked about for helping students learn fluency?

1 comment:

  1. My favorite strategy was doing repeated readings --- having the students read a book or passage 4-5 times. Tompkins said that it develops fluency and deepens their comprehension, actually. I think that the more they read, the less errors they will make.

    ReplyDelete