Saturday, October 9, 2010

Nachelle Mackie (4) Students' Reading Levels

Quote: "Teacher match students with books at appropriate levels of difficulty because students are more likely to be successful when they're reading books that aren't too easy or too difficult" (Tompkins 76).

Comment: I remember as an elementary school student reading some books that I thought were a waste of time because they seemed just too easy. We all would get the same book and read it as a class so I never remember differing books depending on reading level. I think the most important thing in this quote is to remember about the word "success." That is what we ultimately want our students to achieve. It may take time to put each child in their own reading level, but it is worth it.

Question: What is the best way to determine what reading level your student is on?

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of different tests that you can administer at the beginning of the year to gauge their reading levels. You can do informal assessments as class to see where the average reading level is as well. The most important thing is that you keep track of the students' progress throughout the year and provide lots of one on one teaching time so we can notice the changes.

    ReplyDelete