"Sometimes, the children we teach know more than us, and have different ways of knowing. These ways of knowing need to be recognized in the classrooms of tomorrow (Pahl, 118)."
I love this quote because it is a great reminder to remember the students. I don't want to get all wrapped up in me, and lose focus that it is the students who need to be learning. I need to make sure and understand them, and know them, so I can teach them. I think that it is always good to remember that every class is different. And they aren't going to be the only ones who are learning. I am going to learn a lot, and fully look forward to it. The classroom community needs to be one where students do contribute to the learning process, where they feel needed and necessary. With this is mind, I know that my students are going to know more than me. I look at these students and wonder how I have made it this far in my own schooling, I was never this smart at their age! I look forward to being wowed with all that they know.
My question is brainstorming the different ways of knowing my students are going to have. I want to be aware of the ways, so I give opportunitites for students to use them in the classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment