Quote:”…hope that the children on tomorrow will be given space to learn in a pedagogical setting which respects their literacy practices, and affords them instruction which draws on these practices.” (p 135)
Comment: The book focuses a lot on how our students are involved in a literacy world that involves the extensive use of technology. This is absolutely true; I wish the teachers when I was growing up would have let me use computers to process some of the information. I think in a different way when I am typing than when I am printing; it is much easier to form sentences and complete my ideas when I am staring at a screen. One of the hardest parts of my AP classes was the fact that I had to write essays by hand. I knew the ideas I wanted, but something about having to send the information through a pen first mucked up the communication a little. It reminded me of how they told us we would have to use cursive in middle school (a dirty lie that I still resent). All of a sudden I had to change my way of communicating so I didn’t want to communicate.
Question: How would you pull in technology in a school in a low-income area?
A lot of the time when we think of kids using technology we think of computers and expensive things like that. Computers are a great thing to have but there are other technologies as well. You can use calculators, a class digital camera where they can take pictures of things they are learning about, etc.
ReplyDelete