Quote: "It's much easier to learn to recognize whale than what, because whale conjures up the image of the huge aquatic mammal, but what is abstract"
Comment: When I read this I thought about when I learned to read and this is so true! I didn't notice it as a young child but words that I could easily attach pictures to were easier for me to read and understand the words. I guess that is why there are endless numbers of children's Alphabet books with a word and then a picture or illustration of that word. Kids can look at the picture and say, 'oh that's a ball, that must be how you spell ball.' This is a tremendous help to learning words that can be attached to pictures but you would have to get creative with abstract words.
Question:
What kind of aids would you use similar to pictures to help students make connections for abstract words like "what?"
Every student learns differently, so understanding your student's learning style can help. There are many strategies a teacher can use to help a student learn the word what.Repetition of the word in different sentences can help them learn how to spell it. Using flashcards and having the student underline or highlight "what" in each sentence can help them identify the word and remember how it is spelled.
ReplyDelete