Quote: "Allington offers three reasons why some students struggle to become fluent readers. First, these students regularly read books that are too difficult, instead of those at their instructional and independent levels. Second, they do very little actual reading. Third,teachers frequently ask struggling readers to read aloud and then immediately interrupt them when they misread a word, rather than giving them time to notice and correct their error.
Comment: I thought this was really interesting how teachers have good, fluent readers read silently to increase their reading ability, but have struggling readers read outloud. Especially because I'm sure struggling readers don't feel comfortable reading outloud having other people listen to them.
Question: What are other things you can do with struggling readers that will make them feel more comfortable and less embarrassing then reading aloud to help them increase their reading ability and fluency?
I think it is so important to give children the right level of books to read so that they can actually read them and learn from them. Teachers need to find a way to organize this better
ReplyDelete