Saturday, October 2, 2010

Natalie Murray (3)-Fluency

Quote: "Nonfluent readers can learn to read fluently."

Comment: I know that is a very short, simple, and obvious quote, but it really stood out to me because our role as teachers is to help students with little or no knowledge accomplish tasks that may have seemed impossible to them. It is so important to go into teaching with an open mind and a goal to help our students learn the best they can. Reading is particularly important, since there are so many different aspects and skills that need to come together to enable students to read. If we take these steps one at a time, and patiently, we can help even our most nonfluent readers and speakers learn to read and speak fluently. We can help change and shape lives if our attitudes will allow it.

Question: How do we keep an open mind so we can help even our hardest students with the least amount of knowledge accomplish goals that would drastically change their lives?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you! I think it is so important that we keep an open mind so that we can help those students who are really struggling and need help. I think as teachers it is important that we remember that every student has the potential to do great things. Every student can learn to read fluently. If we remember that I think it will help us to have an open mind!

    ReplyDelete