Monday, October 11, 2010

Sarah Means (3) Assessing Students' Literacy Development

Quote: "Teachers are collecting more assessment data now, and are doing it more frequently than in the past" (Tompkins, 75).

Comment: In education today assessment is everything. It is vital that, as a teacher, I know exactly where my students are. It is through formative and summative assessments that I truly learn how to best support my students. I will need to be constantly checking for understanding and really assessing the level of my students. With such a focus on assessment now much more responsibility has fallen upon the teacher. However, with extra work comes extra benefits. Through constant assessment I will be able to help my students to succeed in ways that they could not without it. Whether it be through a simple thumbs up for understanding or even a summative assessment such as a math or spelling test, assessment is absolutely vital to classroom success.

Question: What are some ways that we could constantly be assessing where our students are and keep track of it?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that formative and summative assessments are the best ways of supporting our students. However, I feel that we can get a deeper understanding of where our students are if we constantly observe them while we are working with them. That way we can make automatic changes and accommodations in our teaching strategies to benefit our students.

    ReplyDelete