Quote: "How often they monitor progress depends on their reading level and on the progress they're making."
Comment: I have been thinking about how teachers find enough time to assess so much. It seems like almost every activity students do is a form of assessment. I think that could actually be a good thing though, if a teacher can monitor where the students are, and know where they might need improvment, as well as where students are excelling, without the students feeling like they're being evaluated, the assessments will probably be more authentic. I guess with literacy though, teachers spend more time assessing emergent or struggling students than they do with the more confident or competent students.
Question: Are the assessments teacher spending more time on more formal or informal? Do the more competent students suffer from getting less assessment attention?
I think that most of assessing with be informal. Teachers need to be constantly assessing students and making sure they're understanding what the teacher is teacher. Assessing is also helpful because then the teacher can see what she herself needs to improve on. I think that we need to be sure we're helping our more competent students to continue progressing and learning. I think the teacher is making sure that she also assesses her competent students and gives them material and experience to continue growing, then they will not suffer.
ReplyDelete