Quote: "The term assessment is used much more often than evaluation. These terms are often considered interchangeable, but they're not. Assessment is formative; it's ongoing and provides immediate feedback to improve teaching and learning. It's usually authentic, based on literacy activities in which students are engaged."
Comment: I like this comment because this is exactly what each education class has taught me. And I'm glad that we're learning to make judgements using assessment instead of evaluations, because assessments provide more information for the teacher and fairly judges the student's real abilities. When I was in school I don't feel like this was done at all. I feel like I was too focused on passing the test and getting good grades than I was with actually learning the material. If I would have been judged based on assessments rather than evaluations, then maybe I would have synthesized information better.
Question: How should we prepare students for their formal evaluations while still focusing on teaching content?
As teachers we really do need to prepare our students for formal evaluations because it is so prevalent in the school system today. I really like how Sis. Wimmer said in class that she tells her students when it is time to think like a test taker and when to think more creatively. I think students need to learn the difference between the two and need to know how to think both ways. As a teacher we need to switch between preparing our students for both ways. While giving assessments, we should mix in both types of assessments together to see if students can relay the information back to you while checking for understanding of the information.
ReplyDelete