Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Brittany Hammond (4) Standardized Tests

Quote: "Standardized tests are a unique text genre, and they require readers and writers to do different things than they would normally, so teachers cant't assume that students already know how to take reading tests." (Tompkins, pg. 97)

Comment: I thought this was interesting because it really emphasized the idea that we're really just teaching for the test. The way we are teaching our students, and the way they seem to learn best, is not enough to allow the students to pass the standardized tests. I think that it's sad that we're doing so much teaching just to take a once a year test that really doesn't accurately test their knowledge.

Question: Do you think that there is something else we can do? Shouldn't the test be changed instead of the teaching at such a young age?

1 comment:

  1. I agree. The way we test students is ineffective as far as measuring all students knowledge absorption. Every student does not learn the same and so every student won't test the same. The problem is its time efficient and easier for the country to categorize students this way. I have no idea what an effective test would look like that did both of those things. Its definitely something to think about.

    ReplyDelete