Saturday, October 9, 2010

Jenaca Jett - Silent Reading

Quote:"Students need daily opportunities for independent reading in order to learn words, and they need to read books at their independent reading levels. If the books are too easy or too hard, students learn very few new words."

Comment: The concept of students reading silently was emphasized often throughout this chapter. They focused on making sure students have books at their reading level or they won't be learning new words. During class discussion we talked about letting students have the opportunity to chose any book they want no matter what reading level they are on. I am trying to find a balance between the two and figure out which one works best.

Question: What benefits are their for reading silently and on the correct reading level? What are the benefits for a child when reading a book not on their level?

1 comment:

  1. The benefits of silent reading, I think, are the child can be more comfortable to make and self-correct errors, they feel less pressure so they don't rush, and they don't worry about reading aloud so they comprehend more because they are not worrying about how they sound. I think it is good to let kids choose their own books during free reading time because how long are they really going to sit there with a book above or below their level anyways. I think they would soon get bored and pick something more suited to their abilities on their own. Even if they don't just let them feel cool because they have that big chapter book with no pictures; even if they can't understand it. I sat and watched the three year old that I nanny, Tenley, pick up a chapter book and sit with it for ten or fifteen minutes and I said, "Oh Tenley are you reading?" in a very ecstatic voice just so she could know that learning to read is exciting. So I think both are good and, yes, it will be hard to find the balance! Good question!

    ReplyDelete