Saturday, October 16, 2010

Diana Blauer (4) Literacy for New Times

Quote: "Moll and then Gutierrez and others have suggested that students' cultural resources can be reviewed as resources for helping students develop stronger understandings of the natural world, both in classrooms and everyday lives."
Comment: I liked the idea that what we do at school transfers over to real life. Sometimes I feel like when we teach people don't really understand what we are trying to portray. They just see us as people standing in front of the classroom babysitting their kids. I think its important to realize that as we teach kids to read we are teaching them a life skill.
Question: What can we do for parents who view education as not important?

1 comment:

  1. That's a really good question, and in my opinion, I'm not sure there's much we can do. We can't change our students' home lives, as much as we may want to. But we can give parents as many opportunities as possible to be involved, and we can keep in contact with them as often as needed to keep them informed about their child's progress.

    ReplyDelete