Quote: "Imagine a classroom that speaks to the needs and interests of all students in your classroom. (Pahl, pg. 114)"
Comment: In the readings I've been doing for El Ed 302, it talks a lot about meeting childrens' 5 basic needs. One is power. I was wondering how literacy can meet this need, when I came up with a few ideas. Being able to read and pick reading is one way. Selecting a topic, researching it, and writing a paper on it can also be empowering to a student. Furthermore, incorporating writing and elements from the students' home lives can also empower them because it lets them know their life is important and relevant.
Question: What are other ways I can make children feel "powerful" in the classroom during reading, writing, and literacy in general?
You can do different activities to make them feel special and powerful. For example play a game where the student is in charge or is in the spotlight. For example, play a game where you have a face card and they have to try to guess which one they have. Even if there guesses are wrong, make them seem somewhat correct so they won't just give up.
ReplyDelete