Quote: “Researching your students brings in information about their literacy practices. This then can be used to construct the curriculum.
- Using maps to locate students’ home spaces
-Students as researchers.”
- Using maps to locate students’ home spaces
-Students as researchers.”
Comment: I got pretty excited and motivated about this part in the reading for a couple of reasons. First I feel very strongly that we need to get to know our students very well in order to direct and mold our classroom accordingly. If we know the practice and support they get at home, the levels that they are learning at now, and what motivates them to become engaged in learning can make a world of difference in what the students are going to get out of our classroom. And secondly I made a connection between what I’m learning in one of our other classes this semester! And I know that all of us in our Provo, Cohort love making connections with our classes J But we just finished our virtual field trips for IPT 287. Using google earth we were able to look up what our school looked like and students could use it to find their homes. Google is an exciting way to get students excited about geography and research! I think it would be great to use in the classroom!
Question: What are other creative things we can do to help our students be more literate?
Jess this is what I talked about! I love the idea of connecting the world's normal view of literacy to the things that kids are interested in. Bringing it to their world will keep them engaged and more motivated to learn. I love the idea of a class wiki or blog to keep students and more importantly parents informed. Everything we're learning in IP&T i think is really applicable to our future classroom.
ReplyDeleteI always love hearing new ideas about how to help students be more literate. It is so important for our students to be literate in order to be as successful as possible in our educational and other endeavors in their futures. I think that art is one great way to help literacy, a great building block. I think that another fun way to aid literacy is to use famous artwork to spark ideas and brainstorm.
ReplyDelete