Friday, October 15, 2010

Shalyn Shelton (3) Assessment

Quote: "High-stakes testing is different than classroom assessment. The test scores typically provide little information for making day-to-day instructional decisions, but students, teachers, administrators, and schools are judged and held accountable by the results."

Comment: Because of this, we really need to learn how to balance teaching our students so that they are prepared for high-stake tests and teaching them lessons in the best ways that they need it. I really like what Dr. Wimmer has said about high-stakes testing and how to prepare your students. I agree with her that you should not simply teach to the high stake tests, but instead you should have days where you teach your students how to take those types of tests.

Question: What do you think is the best way to prepare our students for these high-stake tests?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with the quote. I think that there is a definite disconnect between high stakes testing and what students need to really be learning in the classroom. But it is important for students to be good test-takers to be successful. I really have liked Dr. Wimmers suggestion as teaching testing like a specific content area. Testing as a genre. I think that if you can do this, students will be able to learn what they need to do well high stakes tests, but as a teacher you dont have to teach every subject only for those types of tests.

    ReplyDelete