Quote: "Effective teachers are "kid watchers"...teachers must understand how children learn to read and write. The focus is on what students do as they read or write..." (Tompkins 82).
Comment: I love the term 'kid watchers.' It gives the understanding that we do so much more than spout out our knowledge, but we must be observing all the time and not just watching how they act, but watching how they learn. This is key to us as teachers so we can better teach.
Question: Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Defend your position.
Robin, this is a great question. I definitely agree with you whole heartedly, and not just because I think you're awesome ;) We as teachers do have the responsibility to teach our students, but you are so right in saying that we must be observant too! We need to know our students and how they learn. By doing this we can, like what we heard during the cohort lunch, truly KNOW our students and their needs!
ReplyDelete