Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sammie Martin (3) Observation

Quote: "Observation as a tool is rich in possibilities. While we cannot probe the psyche, we can use the techniques such as observation and analysis of the things children make to give us insights about how thought is structured, as well as how the social organization of the world appears to the child (Pahl p.126).

Comment: I agree that observation gives us a way to look into a child's mind and get a glimpse of how they are thinking. We have heard in many of our classes how important observation is and how it can be used an informal means of assessment. By observing our students, we as teachers will better understand where they are at in their thinking in order to raise them to a higher level of thinking.

Question: What can I do to make observation more meaningful?Should i look for specific things or should I just observe and see what comes?

1 comment:

  1. I think that your way of observation will change depending on the individual students needs. If a student needs more attention in one area, it is likely that you will be checking for improvement in that given area. However, I think it is best to be observing general things as well as specific things...so you can get to know your students better and to gauge their learning.
    To make observing more meaningful I would suggest writing down what you see so you can refer to it later. This way you can look for progression and you can refer to any concerns you may have had to see if they have been resolved.

    ReplyDelete