Quote: Checklists simplify assessment and enhance students' learning. Teachers identify the evaluation criteria in advance so students understand what's expected of them before they begin working."
Comment: I think that grading using checklists is a great idea, especially for the younger grades. I think that checklists would be a quick way to grade projects, presentations and other non-written assignments. Checklists would make sure that grading is fair and objective.
Question: Once we check off items that the child successfully completed on a check list how do we transfer that to a numerical or letter grade? Should we assign all items on the checklist equal points or, should some items be worth more than others? Or should we simply grade on a pass/fail basis?
I definitely think it would be better not to grade on a pass/fail basis, especially in elementary school. Kids need to feel successful and giving them a "fail" or a "pass" doesn't foster that sense of success. Also, I think it would be better to weight the items so some are worth more than others. For example, it would be better to have the check for good organization be worth more than the check for name on the project. Or you could split all the items so that they are each worth one point and all are the same amount of importance.
ReplyDelete