Sunday, October 10, 2010

Esther Dolman (3) - High Stakes vs. Running Records

Quote: Assessment has become a priority in the 21st century.  School districts and state and federal education agencies have increased their demands for accountability, and today, mots students take annual high-stakes tests to judge their achievement.  Teachers are collecting more assessment data now, and doing it more frequently...

Comments:  Assessment is one of the things that scares me about being a teacher!  I know there is definitely a place for standardized testing, but I feel like it doesn't give the students enough credit.  Students work so hard throughout the school year and many are not able to apply that knowledge on a multiple choice test.  I love the idea of teachers keeping a running record because I feel that it better reflects student achievement.  I think it is extremely important for teachers to know where each student is in the class.  Assessment at the beginning and end of the year is not sufficient because it doesn't help us throughout the school year.  It also lets students test in an informal, non threatening environment.  It also helps teachers show district administrators the work that has gone into helping emerging students.

Questions:  Do you think that there will come a time when standardized tests will not be as vital?

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, I think that standardized tests will always be around. There are some good points to them, because they do compare the knowledge of students all across the board. It also is necessary to have standardized tests to make things fair, like admittance to college. So, unfortunately I think they will haunt us until the day we die.

    ReplyDelete