Quote: "Learners should be supported in taking control of, and self-regulating, their own learning. When students...invest their identities in the outcomes of learning, the resulting understanding will be deeper than when learning is passive." (Pahl, 148)
Comment: I resonate with and understand the point that Pahl is trying to convey. I feel now however, that I understand why so many teachers feel they are stuck between a rock and a hard place with No Child Left Behind. Most caring educators would realize that the kind of pedagogy Pahl is describing is more enriching for students as individual people. However, I feel frustrated because this kind of teaching seems near to impossible with lists of nationally mandated principles that must be forced down childrens' throats in order for them to pass standardized tests. I hope I can find a way to balance the kind of teaching I know my students deserve as little people with the standards that I am held to in order to do my job.
Question: How can we allow students to assert as much of their identity into their learning as possible while still making sure as many of them as possible learn content in the way that is necessary in order for them to pass NCLB tests?
I think that for now we must face the fact that these tests are going to dictate what is taught in our classrooms, but we are still able to decide how our classroom is run. The more we use different methods of teaching, such as using are or making songs about the content, there is a greater level of freedom for the students to use their creativity. Also, I think the content will become more real to the students as they make the connections between them and the content and see how it affects their lives or what it means to them and society. We can always make sure to help them see why it is important for them to know these things for their lives.
ReplyDelete