Quote: "Gatto allowed students into the knowledge spaces of the classrom and arranged the space so that her desk was a child-size that sits amongst the children...the students perceived this vibrant learning community as fun." (Pahl, 132)
Comment: I loved this implimentation of the idea that a classroom is a learning community. I feel that this teacher took this idea to the next level by physically incorporating herself in with the student desks, literally becoming part of the population of learners. I also appreciate the idea that classrooms can be places that could be described as "vibrant" and "fun". I feel that the direction our society is taking with No Child Left Behind is in effect, sucking the fun out of learning. I appreciate the input on ways that we can make the classroom a more enjoyable place for both ourselves and our students.
Question: How do we incorporate these ideas in a classroom without losing control? Is it more important for the teacher to maintain a role of dominence or for the students to feel that she or he is almost a part of the class itself?
This seems to be one of those fine lines we must walk, between too controlling and not enough control. I think a good way of maintaining a balance is to follow through with discipline by enforcing consequences for misbehavior, however it needs to be done without emotion so the student does not feel threatened. I always felt more comfortable, as if in a community rather than in a lecture when I had a personal relationship with my teachers. When my teachers took the time to get to know me and my peers (our interests, our strengths and weaknesses, our family, our favorite movies, etc) we all felt like we were friends, the teacher included. To me it seems risky to sit at a desk amongst the students (and difficult because of their size!) but just maintaining that friendly relationship despite the discipline problems that should be handled with love.
ReplyDelete