Friday, October 15, 2010

Allison Mills-Assessment Again

Quote: "All students should read by 3rd grade" (No Child Left Behind, 2001)
Comment: I got this quote from class when we talked about assessment and I think it is ridiculous. There is some point that students should be able to read by 3rd grade, but what about our ESL students who just moved here from Mexico 3 weeks ago before the standardized tests? I don't think it's fair that teachers are paid and thought as good or bad based on a test that isn't equitable for all students. The act has good theories and it is wonderful that we want children to succeed, but not all children can reach their academic potential at the same time, and they shouldn't be expected to. For example, it takes 7 years to develop great CALP, or academic language, and for the students who can't speak any English and may not have read enough, they can't be expected to come to the US already knowing how to read in English! I don't understand why every child must pass this act, especially if they just immigrated here.
Question: My question is, as a teacher, how can I both satisfy the NCLB act and still allow my children the time they need to learn to read?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you completely and I am sorry, but I cannot answer your question because I have the same one. I am concerned to teach because I want to help the individual, but am worried about my students performace on the tests.

    ReplyDelete