Friday, October 15, 2010

Heather Durney (3) Assessment

Quote: "Standardized tests are a unique text genre, and they require readers and writers to do different things than they would normally, so teacher's can't assume that students already know how to take reading tests. It's essential that teachers prepare students to take high-stakes tests without abandoning a balanced approach to instruction that's aligned to state standards."

Comment: I feel like this is a very core issue in education and I had never thought about it before that tests are a completely different text than what students are used to. I am glad to have this to remind me that it has to be taught, they don't already know how to take a standardized test. I worry, though, that I will have a hard time finding the balance between teaching to take a test and teaching to the test.

Question: What do you think is the difference between teaching to the test and teaching to take the test and some ways to do it correctly by avoiding teaching to the test?

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't thought about this before but it is very true. It is so important that we prepare out students for the standardized tests. Here are a couple ways I thought of to help students be prepared...
    1. Review material frequently
    2. Play fun games to get them involved and excited about learning
    3. Plan activities to make sure every student is involved!

    ReplyDelete