Quote; ''Monitoring is vital for a students success. Teachers monitor students learning everyday and use the results to make instructional decisions''.
Comment; I realize the importance of monitoring a students progress, constantly ''kid-watching'' so to speak and recording test scores etc I worry about how to classify students. For example, say Mary has a really difficult time reading out loud but she has a high comprehension level. One teacher might put her in the Instructional Reading Level whereas another might decide that that book is to difficult for that student because of their stuttering and mistakes and place them in the Frustration Reading Level.
Question: How do we remain consistent and accurately place our students in the reading level that they will most thrive*
This is almost exactly my question. My little brother has great comprehension, but he often substitutes or omits words. As far as I can tell, its best to give them books with deep meaning (like stories from Civil War) but with text that is in the challenging(not impossible) range. It is a hard question though.
ReplyDelete