Quote: "Teachers work with nonfluent readers to break sentences into chunks and then read sentences with expression."
Comment: I just thought this was very interesting. I had never thought of breaking a sentence into chunks to make the meaning more clear, and help the student read with expression. The example they gave, of the sentece broken up seemed like poetry to me, and made me wonder if having students practice reading poetry would help nonfluent readers. I think a lot of poems are just sentences that are broken up into smaller sections to add meaning and expression. I think that could be a really great way to help nonfluent students start to read with expression.
Question: Should a teacher use poetry to help nonfluent students begin to read with expression and become more fluent?
That is very interesting! It seems like that would be a good way to teach fluency and chunking. Maybe we should ask Dr. Wimmer for a clearer explanation, but it sounds good to me :). I agree with you that I think it could help nonfluent readers with expression. Great idea!
ReplyDelete