"Students identify some words by associating them with words they already know; this strategy is known as decoding by analogy. When readers come to an unfamiliar word, such as fright, they might notice the phonogram -ight and figure out the word by analogy."
Comment:
When I was reading this I thought about the complicated process it is to learn how to read. I don't remember what it was like, and the strategies I used. It made me think about how I need to be understanding to what the students are going through when they are learning how to read. It made me a little nervous about being able to teach them everything they need to know to be equipped to read.
Question:
What can we do as teacher's to make the learning to read easier for the students?
It definitely is a scary thought that we will have such an influence on their ability to read. I think that as teachers we need to be aware of each student and their needs. There will never be a specific formula that will work for every student, so we need to be flexible in teaching different strategies. I think the word walls are a great way to help make reading easier. I also think it is important to point out strategies like decoding by analogy and others brought up in the book. Perhaps most importantly, we need to give our students lots and lots of opportunities to practice!
ReplyDelete