Quote: “School often asks for students to remain in particular identities” (P, 99).
Comment: I think this is very, very true. We’ve been focusing a lot on getting to know our students so that we can effectively plan lessons that correspond to their strengths, weaknesses, and interests. It would be very easy to take your initial impression of the student and never revisit or revise it through the school year. A student may be struggling with something at the beginning of the year that impacts their work, or they might suddenly find their stride in a subject… any number of things could occur that would invalidate our earlier thoughts. It is important that student assessment (academic and personal) should be an on-going process. Otherwise, students will be stuck where we put them and won’t achieve the level of growth they could have. We need to make them feel like they can succeed and provide the best ways for them to do so at that time.
Question: Have there been any times in your life when you felt categorized by a teacher? How did it make you feel and how did you break out of it?
I remember all throughout my elementary school I would be categorized under the name "Stewart." My older brother and sister went to the same elementary school where they excelled. I also felt that teacher's put me up to that high standard as well. They thought I was smart so they would spend more time with the other struggling kids than on me.
ReplyDelete