Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ali Spittler, week 7, Diversity

Quote: "Teachers can mediate classroom experiences for their students, bringing in a host of cultural experience from their students' funds of knowledge, and they can meet their students halfway with a shared space in which both can participate." (Pahl 121)

Comment: I love that students are not blank slates or empty vessels that we as teachers are just going to fill with our great wealth of knowledge. I love that the students are going to teach us and teach each other because they each bring something to the table. It will be so great to teach children from different cultures and back grounds than mine, because I know that they will bring so much to the classroom. It's just my job to meet them halfway.

Question: The book talks a lot about including diverse students. What are some of your favorite ideas, or some that you've thought of on your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment