Quote: Readers have limited cognitive resources available for comprehension, and if they se too many of these resources to decode difficult text or to compensate for limited background knowledge, they may not remember much of what they read.
Comment: I am learning a lot about reading for my own on this book. I never really took English so I still struggle reading all-English texts. I've noticed that when I use the strategies of fluency tught in the book I have a less harder time and I have more time to enjoy and understand the text. I will implement in my teaching this techniques by making sure my children are understanding what they read, and if they are not I will help them ponder why they are not understanding so that they can change the pattern.
Question: If a student is resding to you and you ask him after one paragraph to explain you what he read and he says "I don't know." What would your first approach be How would you help them?
I can remember being a little girl and reading with my dad. He would have me read a section to him and then ask me what I read in my own words. Since the text we were reading was difficult, I sometimes had a hard time summarizing the whole thing in my own words. So, I would break apart individual sections of the text and gain meaning from each of them. This is how I would handle the comprehension issues of my future students. One way is to ask the student to read one sentence at a time and decipher the meaning from that sentence. After the whole paragraph is read, the student could likely bring those parts together to form the whole meaning of the paragraph.
ReplyDelete