Quote: “It’s not enough to have students memorize one definition of a word; to develop full word knowledge, they need to learn more about a word.”
Comment: There is so much more to reading than to just be able to say the words. And even knowing a basic knowledge of a word might not be sufficient to really grasping the concept of a sentence. Some words have multiple meanings that could confuse students if they did not understand that certain words could be used to describe different ideas. I love the idea of a word wall for commonly used words but I think you could as put posters on the wall with a certain word that has double meanings and have a picture that depicts the different meanings it has. That way it gets students remembering and thinking about this concept. That way they are not shocked with they need to use skills such as using context clues and other word learning strategies to try to decode the meaning of a certain sentence. It’s not enough for them to just learn basic vocabulary; instead it’s important for them to grasp the concept of reading for understanding.
Question: What other word-learning strategies would you use with your students? Why are those strategies important?
I also agree, I love the idea of a word wall. I think that is a great way for students to not only learn confusing words, but whenever they look up at it they will be able to remember the lessons they have been taught in the past and apply them. I think that a strategy I might use would be showing my students how words are connected. I would use the Latin and Greek roots and relate them to English words. I think this would be a great idea for helping students to learn how to decode other words they do not know as well.
ReplyDelete