Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hannah Austin Section 4--Teaching Prosody

Quote: "Teachers work with nonfluent readers to break sentences into chunks and then read the sentences with expression. (Tompkins pg. 210)

Comment: In class it was cool to see how Stephanie and I read lists differently. She read them in a level voice, and I went up in the middle and down again at the end. Both ways sounded correct and normal. While I think chunking the sentences will make it easier for students to read the words, and see what is being said, do teachers really need to teach chunk sentences to teach expression? The book gives an example of a sentence that was chunked. If I was reading that sentence out loud, I would emphasize different parts than the book did, and I think that is just based on interpretation. I think it is good to show reading with expression (reading in a scary voice, happy voice, whisper voice, etc.), but I don't know that the finer points of expression should be taught specifically, just cultivated based on students preferences.

Question: Is it important to teach students where in a sentence (the part without commas, periods, question marks, and so forth) to emphasize and show expression, or is that something we should just let students decide for themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment