Quote: "Portfolios represent informal forms of assessment that allow students to take ownership of their literacy development while at the same time drawing on ideas from the New Literacy Studies, such as the idea of literact as a social practice.
Comment: I really like the idea of students creating portfolios because I think it encourages them to put forth their best effort on assigments and projects because they know it will be displayed and shown off later. Kids can have the choice of what they want their best work to be, and I think it is important to offer those kind of choices to kids.
Question: If the idea of having/doing portfolios is so great, why don't very many teachers do it? Why don't they switch it up between this and just formal testing all the time?
Ya I wonder why some teachers do that. It will be interesting to see how our teachers do it in the practicum, and if they don't use a portfolio, how they decide how to overall rate/grade students work. It must just be through testing.
ReplyDelete