Quote: "Primary-grade teachers monitor children's developing reading and writing fluency by observing them as they read and write."
Comment: I think that the best way for a teacher to assess reading and writing is not through formal exams but by observing their students. This makes reading and writing non-pressure so that they can enjoy what they're doing. Fluency is very important to reading comprehension. When a student is a fluent reading, they can move on to understand what it is they're reading. This is why I think it's important to consistenly assess our student's reading fluency. In assessing our student's reading fluency, we need to remember to test accuracy, speed and prosody. I really liked the idea of chunking phrases when teaching students how to improve prosody. This way they can see punctuation and are able to use expression in reading. I also like the idea of quick writing.
Question: How affective is it when teachers post high frequency words around the room? Do students use them more often when they're on the wall?
I agree about assessing through informal means such as observation. I think it is important for students to not feel pressure when they are learning, especially when it comes to the fundamental skills such as reading and writing. If students have too many negative experiences with learning these things, and are pressured and dont feel successful, it will be hard for them to be motivated to continue to improve at them. About the word walls, I dont know if they make the students use the words more frequently, but I do think they are good to use as a reference when the students are working with words. I think that if they see them around the room, they will be more familiar with them, and more likely to produce them in their own writing. (Also if they know they can reference the word wall when writing to be reminded of a word, or spelling, I think it will help them to be more confident writers.)
ReplyDelete