Quote: "How do we transform our students' funds of knowledge in classroom settings? Teachers can mediate classroom experience for their students, bringing in a host of cultural experiences from their students' funds of knowledge, and they can meet their students halfway with a shared space in which both can participate."
Comment: I really thought this was a great idea when I read over this in my reading. As teachers, it is important to teach in a way that will facilitate all cultural learning. It may be difficult, but it is so worth it. I love in the quote where it says that the teacher can meet the student halfway. It is important for both to feel like there is effort on the part of the other in learning.
Questions: What are some examples of how teachers can bring in cultural experiences?
In history class, you could ask students to share their experiences from their home cultures. You might not have students from the exact countries you are studying, but everyone has relateable experiences.
ReplyDelete