Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Misty Ivie - Week 6 - comprehension

Quote: "Reading is understanding"

Comment: I loved this idea that came from the powerpoint. I had never thought of reading as a process of gaining understanding. I think knowing this changes they way I think about teaching children to read. Teaching children to be able to read is one thing but, teaching a child to understand what they are reading is entirely different.

Question: I don't remember any specific ways that my teachers helped me develop comprehension when I was in school, although I was always a very fluent reader. Do you remember any skills your teachers taught you?

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember any specifics, but I'm sure that my teachers used a lot of what we are learning right now, but I just didn't know it was happening. And I think that's the key: if we can help our students to love reading for the sake of reading, all other things will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete