Comment: I agree with the statement, "That's significant!" I always find statistics interesting. So, to read that students can learn an additional 1,000 words per year if you provide thirty minutes of daily reading time is so interesting to me. I have been taught in a lot of my classes that providing SSR is extremely important to helping students become better readers, and this supports that completely. I think it would be interesting to go back to my elementary school years, and see what the statistics were of me learning to read. I feel like I read a lot as a child, but I wonder how many words I read a year and how many words I learned a year. There is no way I can go back and find this out, but I can make the effort to give my students an appropriate amount of daily reading time in my classroom.
Question: Do you think providing thirty minutes of daily reading can really be that significant? Do you think it will be part of your classroom routine?
I definitely think it will be not only significant but extremely beneficial. And it will for sure be a part of my classroom routine. I love the idea that the teacher also reads a book during SSR. I want to be a good example for my students and show them that reading can be fun. If they get into the habit of reading every day and eventually learn to love reading, they will probably continue to read throughout high school and adulthood, which definitely be a contributor to greater knowledge, more enjoyment, greater imagination, better writing, and a larger vocabulary.
ReplyDelete