Thursday, October 7, 2010

Courtney Harrison-Assessing Students

Quote:"So students will be familiar with the testing conditions, teachers simulate them in the classroom or take students to where the test will be administered for practice sessions." -interesting
Question:If test experts are saying that this single evaluation should not be used to judge students learning and teacher effectiveness, why do people make such a big deal about these tests, especially since over the years we've finally figured out it is not a good source of childrens learning.
Comment:I really like the idea of the portfolio and the portfolio share days. I remember when my family came and saw my work on the walls at the school and things and its a fun way to share what you've done, and students become really proud of there work. I also liked the comment that when less motivated stuents listen to their classmates talk about their work and how they have grown as readers and writers, they often decide to WORK HARDER the NEXT YEAR. I thought that was really neat.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the idea of the portfolios too because I think they are very beneficial to students. They'll want to put forth a lot of effort and try hard on assigments so that they can show off their best work. I wondered the same thing about testing. I think standardized testing is such a big deal to kind of see where students at. Also, even though it might not be effective, it kind of has to be done with older kids to get into college, so it is nice for students to get used to taking tests like that.

    ReplyDelete