Quote: "Instead of being dispensers of knowledge, teachers engage stduents with experiences so that they construct their own knowledge.
Comment: I really believe in what John Dewey said that "collaboration, not competition, is more conduce to learning." I feel this way in the Math class because we work collaboratively at our group table discussing possible solutions and all bring different ideas to the table. If it were just a race to get done, we'd all miss out on different strategies and possibly still be confused on what was supposed to be learned or achieved.
Question: I am interested in the differences between a classroom community and and traditional classroom. I am curious about classroom results once the class was taught in those ways. I would think that the classroom community would be a much better result. What could really benefit from a traditional classroom? It seems like the teacher is just the boss and its her domain. Shouldn't it be a joint experience of respect and learning together all the time?
The quote you chose was one I highlighted as well, Courtney. I chose it because the literacy program that they use in my daughter's kindergarten class embodies this exact idea. One activity they did at the open house with the students was a "T" table. They had all kinds of objects and words around the table that started with a "T" sound. The students even started coming up with many of their own "T" words as the teacher engaged them in the activity. Very cool!
ReplyDelete