Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ali Spittler, 4, A Process of Living (week 4)

Quote: "I believe that education, therefore, is a process of living and not a preparation for future living" (My Pedagogic Creed, Dewey).

Comment: I think it's important to know what knowledge the students need to know in later years so that you know what to teach them when they're in your class, but I think that teachers get caught up in that too much sometimes. That's why I love this Dewey quote from his creed, because I really believe that we need to teach our students to use the knowledge they currently have, teaching them to live in the present. We need to make goals, yes, but we have to teach them to make connections between what they're learning and how to apply it to the Now. I think math is so hard for a lot of students because they are only learning it as a layer for future math knowledge. So we have to be creative in teaching our students to live in the Now with what they're learning.

Question: Do you agree with Dewey that education is a process of living?

1 comment:

  1. Ali, I posted the same quote on my post before I looked at yours. I think John Dewey's pedagogic creed is fantastic and I especially love this quote. I totally agree that is our students can understand that we learn by living, they will enjoy school more. Sometimes it may take us as teachers, stopping to "smell the roses" in our classroom and pausing during those impromptu "teaching moments."

    ReplyDelete