Saturday, September 11, 2010

Read Aloud - Karalee Langton

Quote: "Grand conversation, students share their personal responses and tell what they liked about the text.... the focus in grand conversations in on clarifying and deepening students' understanding of the story they've read."

Comment: This reading sections made me realize that students today are learning a lot more than I did in elementary school. I also think that it is interesting the way the book refers to learning because the simple reading and writing skills explained in this book seem to be so complicated yet it comes naturally and quickly to most students.

Question: How do children learn reading and writing, something so hard in a short period of time; such as the years of elementary school?

1 comment:

  1. I think of a child's mind like a sponge. Initially they are dried out and will soak in the water as fast as they can. This is the way I see Elementary aged children. They are so eager for knowledge that it comes quickly and sometimes easily to them. They progress so much in those beginning stages I think the biggest way that children learn reading and writing is through prior knowledge and being exposed to the world around them. They see letters and words every day. They have stories read to them. They are exposed to letters before they even learn. I think this has a great impact.

    ReplyDelete