"Too often, students view consulting a dictionary as punishment; teachers must work to change this view."
I love this idea so much! I remember hating having to use a dictionary for my spelling vocabularly words! The book talks about having "dictionary checkers" who would be in charge of looking up words for the class. Any way to instill this love of using dictionaries and learning new words in my class. I like it as an authentic learning activity as well, to get them interested in using it outside of the classroom too. I know for myself I love using dictionary.com, so I think when kids are on the computer and using their technology, this website can also be a resource too.
My question for this week is what other activities and ways can we use to get students interested in learning new words via the dictionary? Some kind of game perhaps?
I like this idea of getting kids excited to use dictionaries and other resources outside of class. Maybe some kind of activity that would present certain problems or a "mystery" that can only be solved by looking up terms. Something that can show the students that these types of tools are awesome because it helps us understand things that we personally want to understand.
ReplyDelete